MALP’s Garden Expo joins with Arbor Day
Two events, Maui Nui Botanical Gardens Arbor Day 1,000 Hawaiian Tree Give Away and the Maui Association of Landscape Professionals Maui Garden Expo are merging in 2019 to create The Arbor Day Garden Expo and Tree Give Away. It’s been many years since these two events were held in tandem. This means that on Saturday, November 2, you can still come get your free native tree, but there will be new things to see and do!
- Hours are extended, from 9 am to 2 pm. Arrive early for best tree selection; we may run out of trees before the event ends.
- Expanded plant sale. Plants both native and non-native plants will be sold by local nurseries; only non-invasive species will be sold (mahalo to MISC for vetting growers).
- In addition to our tree climbing demo, landscape industry members will demonstrate more products and techniques, like grower supplies and irrigation technical support.
- New speakers. Speakers will be scheduled throughout the day, including Ken Love from Hawai’i Tropical Fruit Growers on the Big Island, our new County Arborist Tim Griffith who will speak about tree care.
- The Mālama i ka ʻĀina Award will be presented by Maui Invasive Species Committee. This award is presented annually to a landscaper, plant provider (retail or wholesale nurseries and garden shops), commercial agricultural property owner or manager, to recognize their efforts to keep invasive species out of Maui County. To nominate someone, please CLICK.
- New keiki activities. In addition to our free lei making, Makahiki games, lauhala bracelet weaving, and kapa making, there will be expanded keiki activities for kids to learn about gardens and plants.
Allison Wright of the Maui Association of Landscape Professionals (MALP)
says of the partnership:
“We’re excited to add new information sharing with this opportunity to bring together local green industry vendors and the public.”